Who was CT Mayo?
Charles Thomas Mayo, one of the town’s most famous residents, lived in Corsham from 1868 to 1895.
Born in Tunbridge Wells in 1834 to an eminent surgeon, he was educated at Cheam and became a solicitor. Having retired at the age of 39, Mayo came to live at Ivy House in Priory Street and is buried in St Bartholomew’s Churchyard.
Charles Mayo was active in many important aspects of life in Victorian Corsham. He was the Vice Chairman of Corsham’s first Parish Council in 1895, a Liberal County Councillor and Vice President of the North Wiltshire Liberal Association.
Mayo was also a Trustee of the Lady Margaret Hungerford Almshouses and a Member of the Poor House Committee. He supported the Fire Brigade, the Cricket Club, the Wesleyan Chapel and was a member of the local Temperance Movement.
As Chairman of Corsham Waterworks Company, Mayo oversaw the construction of the pipeline which first brought fresh water to Corsham from springs above Lacock, six miles away.
The Mayo Memorial
After Mayo’s death in 1895, Corsham Parish Council built a memorial in recognition of his life and works across the road from the Corsham Town Hall at the end of the High Street, where it stands to this day.
See here for more details.